Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Silence of the Lambs

The Silence of the Lambs, directed by Jonathan Demme, is as old as I am; but despite its being released the year I was born, I consider myself well-acquainted with this dark drama. I say "drama," although the rest of the world throws words around like "horror," "thriller," and "mystery-action," because honestly, I never once jumped in my seat. My jaw dropped, yes, but I define "scary" as something that actually makes me afraid/gives me nightmares. This film has more to do with the human psyche than anything else; the acting is so brilliant, you somehow find yourself rooting for the bad guy (Anthony Hopkins a.k.a. Hannibal Lecter). I will criticize it for its length, and for its occasional "dragging on" moments. However, the humor in the Buffalo Bill Scenes (yes, it's macabre, but still a little funny) and awesome scene editing keep you interested. Not to mention the outburst of a Tom Petty song in a semi-random scene and, of course, the outburst of Hannibal Lecter in a not-so-random, sickening scene that involves removing human skin. All that considered, you'd be crazy not to watch this movie ;)

Did I do that?
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment